Sep 10, 2015
Small Plates are an ideal way to eat, entertain or simply break bread with family, friends or those around you at mealtime.
Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries call it Meze, it means to “taste”. A meze table includes a wide variety of items and would not be complete without hummus and freshly baked pita. In Spain it’s Tapas, which means to top or cover. Originally sliced bread was placed over glasses of sherry to keep the flies out. The toast was enjoyed as a nibble before meals and the concept evolved. The Italian version is antipasti, which translates to “before the meal”. It’s meant to stimulate the appetite and prepare diners for the main course. All of these variations are small delicious snacks or appetizers that are simple to assemble and help make any gathering a delicious feast.
There is no right or wrong when it comes to assembling an array of small dishes to share. Make dishes ahead of time or use store bought alternatives. Serve at room temperature, so the food can be eaten at leisure.
- Stretching and rolling dough to make a flatbread - Homemade or store bought pizza dough
- Spread pesto sauce
- Sprinkling grated mozzarella, then toasted pine nuts
- Then into oven at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes
- Olives in bowl
- Nuts in bowl
- Crudité platter -Yellow peppers cut into strips, Fennel cut into strips, English cucumbers, peeled, seeded and sliced on the diagonal, Orange peppers cut into strips, Breakfast radishes and Snap peas.
- Cheese plate - Kale leaves or other greens as garnish, wedge of Manchego with cut slices, crackers on platter
- Hummus dolloped on platter, fresh micro plane grated lemon zest over the top, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with smoked paprika.
- Local roasted root vegetables - Beets, yellow carrots, yellow beets and turnips.
- Bubbling flatbread arrives from the oven, sprinkle with your favorite micro greens or chopped herbs.
- Music by Giovanni Vicari - Occhi di Bambola
- Directed by Ted Delano
- Culinary assistant - Samantha Malone
- Fashion Stylist - Beverly Silver